Irina Moroshko Clinical Psychologist
Irina is a clinical psychologist and supervisor with experience supporting adolescents and adults with a diverse range of mood and mental health conditions since 2011.
Irina encourages her clients to imagine their ideal selves and how different their day-to-day would be if they were able to act consistently with this image. Irina’s clients say that they understand how every discussion and task brings them closer to their goals and that they always know what new ways of being they will be practising outside their sessions. Irina enjoys presenting her clients with very simple and visual ways to frame their challenges and help them see where they are heading. Clients often comment on using these visuals to guide them when faced with everyday difficulties. Irina feels accomplished when clients report that they feel more confident and efficient when dealing with difficulties.
Irina’s approach is evidence-based and client-centered; her work is trauma and attachment-informed and incorporates creative techniques such as art, play, narrative (story-telling), and drama therapy. Irina works collaboratively with her clients to decide on the best ways to improve their mental health and wellbeing; and brings warmth, empathy, common sense, practical approach, simplicity, and humor to therapy. Irina draws on a range of evidence-based therapies including:
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Schema Therapy (ST)
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical-Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- CBT-E for eating disorders
- Grief and loss counselling
- Narrative therapy
- Pregnancy Support (Non-Directive) Counselling
To give back to the psychology profession Irina is serving as a member in a number of special-interest groups in line with her professional interests (including attachment, neurodiversity, trauma) and routinely supervises psychology registrars and fully registered psychologists.
Irina’s vision is to establish a clinic where clients find their place (“My Place”) for meaningful work and connections through both one-on-one and group work, and dreams of training a puppy to be her therapy companion. Irina speaks conversational Russian and is fluent in Hebrew.
- Approved Medicare provider
- Registered with AHPRA and holds a Clinical Psychology Endorsement
- Psychology Board of Australia approved Clinical Supervisor (principal)
- Member of the APS
Irina’s therapeutic work was presented in the Department of Human and Health Services (DHHS) annual “Good Practice” publication in both 2014 and 2016. Irina received research awards and published research findings in a number of international journals.
- Moroshko, I., Walker, P (2016). A therapeutic approach to contact between mother and daughter. Good practice: a statewide snapshot, DHHS (Department and of Human and Health Services). p: 61-62.
- Milani, L., Moroshko, I. (2014). Therapeutic interventions changing lives for children and families living with a disability. Good practice: a statewide snapshot, DHHS (Department and of Human and Health Services). p: 85-86.
- Moroshko, I., Brennan, L., Warren, N., Brown, W., O’Brien, P. (2014). Patients’ Perspectives on Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAGB) Aftercare Attendance; qualitative assessment. Obesity Surgery.
- Moroshko, I., Brennan, L. (2012). Maternal controlling feeding behaviors and child eating in preschool aged children. Nutrition & Dietetics.
- Moroshko, I., Brennan, L., & O’Brien, P. (2012). Predictors of Attrition in Bariatric Aftercare: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Obesity Surgery.
- Moroshko, I., Brennan, L. (2011). Parental feeding and the pre-schooler diet and weight: A systematic literature review. Obesity Research and Clinical Practice.
- Moroshko, I., Brennan, L., O’Brien, P. (2011). Predictors of drop-out in weight loss interventions: A systematic review of the literature. Obesity Reviews.
DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-789X. 2011.00915.x